TBR Library Deans and Directors Meeting (Draft of Minutes)
April 14, 1998
The meeting was held in the McWherter Library of the University of Memphis. Les Pourciau provided lunch.
Attending: Becky Brunton, Rosa Burnett, Scott Cohen, Don Craig, Lynne Craver, Deborah Fetch, Penny Frere, Chair, Mule Kenerson, Bob Lhota, Sue Loper, Peter Nerzak, Duncan Parsons, Les Pourciau, Mike Rothacker, Vivian Stewart, Victor Ukpolo, Jim Veatch and Winston Walden
1. The Chair called the meeting to order and had those present introduce themselves. The Chair announced that she had resigned her position at Motlow State to be effective in two weeks.
2. The minutes were approved
3. A general discussion concerning the purpose and function of TALC occurred. There was widespread support for TALC. The question of whether TALC would or would not be a legal entity in Tennessee and how the TBR Board would be involved in the establishment of the Collaborative dominated the discussion. It was agreed that Victor Ukpolo would submit the proposal to the Academic Sub-Council for approval and to determine if legal status was necessary. However TALC is finally constituted, it was agreed that:
a. Communications concerning TALC among the TBR Libraries should be open and free flowing
b. TALC must be mindful of the activities of TENNSHARE and cooperate with TENNSHARE.
The first meeting of the TALC board is April 23 in Nashville at the TSU downtown campus. Board members from the TBR institutions are: Yildiz Binkley, Rosa Burnett, Sue Loper, Les Pourciau and Winston Walden. From UT they are: Sheila Delacroix and Paula Kaufman.
4.The TBR Borrowers Agreement was again on the agenda because all schools had not completed the "Borrowers form" New blank forms were distributed. These are to be completed and sent to Scoot Cohen for mounting on the TBR Directors Web page. The amended policy will also be placed on the Web page.
5. A discussion of IPEDS was to occur, so that libraries would use common definitions for the next report. However, definitions and reportage have changed for the 1998 report. Consequently, the discussion was postponed until the Spring retreat. An outline of some of the changes was distributed. This document gave asource for sample copies of the new form. This new form should be obtained and reviewed before the Spring Retreat. It and the last report are to be brought to the Retreat.
6. A meeting of all the parties concerned with getting the State to fund electronic databases will be held. Some of the groups represented are: THEC, TBR, TLA, TENNSHARE, TN Department of Education and the State Library. The purpose of the meeting is to create a united effort to seek state funding. The Chair asked that a report of this meeting be made as soon as possible, either through the TBR listserv or the Retreat. The amount each TBR library pays for each electronic database it has is to be brought to the Retreat.
7. The discussion of the question of full faculty status for librarians led to the appointment of a task force to study the degree of faculty status held by TBR librarians. Task force members are: Lynne Craver, Donald Joyce, Murle Kenerson(Assistant Director at TSU), and Peter Nerzak.
8. The New TLA Strategic Plan reflects a change in philsophy in that it is more proactive and seeks to have libraries speak with one voice especially to the State legislature.
9. The Bell Buckle Retreat will be June 11 and June 12, not 12 and 13 as given in the agenda. Winston Walden as incoming Chaire will coordinate the retreat
10. The amount, if any, of the Technology Access Fee that has gone to TBR libraries has varied greatly. It is hoped that the new guidelines will give more to libraries. Tactics to get money from the TAF for TBR libraries will be discussed at the Retreat, in the hope that a proposal can be made to the Academic Sub-council.
11.The new TBR Library Directors Web page was demonstrated by its creator, Scott Cohen. The group was pleased with the page and thanked Scott for his initial work and his willingness to maintain the page.
12.The Fall meeting will be on October 2, beginning at 9:30 AM in the TBR Conference Room.
13.With Penny Frere's resignation, Winston Walden became Chair at the end of the meeting. Lynne Craver was elected Chair-elect.